Although wedge salads really found their popularity in steak houses across the country, they can now be found salt and peppered in various restaurant menus throughout America – and even in Waller, Texas. The modern wedge salad's basic design hasn't changed over the years. It's still an eye-catching presentation of crisp lettuce and delectable toppings. Not surprisingly, there are some things about the classic that continue to evolve. For the most part, though, it is a green salad made from a head of lettuce, which is often iceberg, halved or quartered with other ingredients on top, such as cherry tomatoes, red onion, nuts, and bacon crumbles. Looking to make a wedge salad from the comfort of your apartment home? Check out this recipe below!
For the salad
• 1 head iceberg lettuce
• 8 slices bacon , cooked, cooled, and crumbled
• 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
• Pecans or walnuts toasted, optional
Easy Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing:
• 1 cup light sour cream
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons buttermilk
• 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 ounces blue cheese, with reserved spoonfuls of crumbles for garnish
1. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Cut the bacon into pieces and cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Cut the iceberg lettuce in half. Cut each of the halves again in half or thirds – depending on how big the iceberg lettuce head is – to create "wedges". Place wedges on individual plates.
4. To serve, spoon dressing over lettuce and then sprinkle the bacon crumbles, tomatoes, onion, and blue cheese crumbles on top. Season with fresh crushed black pepper, to taste.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Oxford at the Ranch Apartments in Waller, Texas is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.