This DIY project, courtesy of Oxford at the Ranch for a sleep mask is a sight for, well, tired eyes! With your choice of cotton or silk fabric, these sleep masks are both stylish and useful. Plus, they can save you a couple of bucks and keep your hands busy over the weekend. These homemade sleep masks can even make an exceptionally thoughtful gift for any friend or a family member with a birthday or other special occasion on the horizon – graduation, anyone? Luckily enough for you, the instructions are super simple to follow, and you can most likely make a few in one sitting if you’re a more experienced sewer. Check them out below for the ultimate weekend craft fun!
• Cotton flannel
• Cotton batting
• Cotton or silk fabric
• Fabric scissors
• Sewing supplies
• Bias tape, approximately 7/8” wide
• Sleep masks template of your choice
1. Download and print the template of your choice and cut it out. Trace onto flannel, batting, and front fabric, and cut out with fabric scissors. Mark the two spots on the front fabric where elastic should go, as indicated on the template.
2. Layer pieces in order, from back to front—flannel, batting, front fabric—with right sides of flannel and fabric both facing out.
3. Pin elastic at marked points on the front fabric, lining up with the edge of the mask.
4. Unfold one side of bias tape and align the unfolded edge with the edge of the mask. Fold over 1/4 inch of one end. Then pin tape all around, overlapping ends of tape by 1/4 inch.
5. Using the top crease as a guide, stitch in that crease all around the mask, as shown.
6. Flip mask, so the flannel side, or the back of the mask, is facing up. Fold the tape over the raw edge of the mask and pin all around.
7. Hand-sew binding to flannel using a slip stitch.
At Oxford at the Ranch Apartments in Waller, Texas, our goal is to help you maintain a balanced life. The first step? We promise to keep you up-to-speed on fun activities, creative arts and crafts projects, and new recipes that you and your family are sure to love.