No, spanakopita is not the latest type of ska music – it’s actually a Greek delicacy that is quite savory and delicious. Made from spinach and feta cheese mixture, this savory pie is wrapped in layered phyllo dough brushed with olive oil or butter for a crispy, delectable crunch upon the first bite. Other than the spinach and cheese, onions, garlic, and parsley add to this pastry’s rich and undeniable flavor. Convinced to add the spanakopita, or Greek spinach pie, to your rotating repertoire of culinary favorites yet? If so, check out the ingredients you’ll need, along with the directions, below!
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus ¼ cup
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 bunch green onions, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 pounds spinach, rinsed and chopped
• ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• ½ cup ricotta cheese
• 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 8 sheets phyllo dough
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, green onions, and garlic, until soft and lightly browned. Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to sauté until spinach is limp about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Stir in spinach mixture. Layout one sheet of phyllo dough in a prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat the process with two more sheets of phyllo dough. The sheets will overlap in the pan.
4. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into the pan and fold overhanging dough overfilling. Brush with oil, then layer the remaining four sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into the pan to seal the filling.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.
Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of Oxford at the Ranch Apartments in Waller, Texas.